Careers at The Dispute Service Ltd.
Invitation for Applications
Chair – SafeDeposits Scotland Trust
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the SafeDeposits Scotland Trust as Chair, charged with leading the Trust through the next steps in its journey.
SafeDeposits Scotland Limited (SDS) is Scotland’s leading tenancy deposit scheme, approved by the Scottish Government. As part of its constitution, SDS will covenant its free surpluses to the SafeDeposits Scotland Trust, established in 2012 at the same time as the launch of the limited company. As an interim measure, Sir Andrew Cubie, the Chair of SDS, has acted as Chair of the Trust but it is now timely for him to stand down and a new Chair for the Trust to be appointed to ensure greater distance between the Trust and SDS, which he will continue to chair.
While the broad objectives of the Trust have been set as relating to the advancement of best practice in the management of private rented housing through education, the next phase of the Trust’s activity will be to refine the objectives in conjunction with its stakeholders. It is hoped that the new Chair will be actively engaged in this process and thereafter to lead this organisation in the award of grants to third parties.
Whilst it will be for the new Chair to determine the frequency of meetings, it is not envisaged that the Board will require to meet formally more than once per quarter. The Chair will also be required to attend periodic briefings with the Chair and CEO of SDS. The position will be remunerated on a per diem basis, and vouched out of pocket expenses, including travel, will be reimbursed.
- The new Chair will require to have an awareness of issues affecting the property sector in Scotland either in the letting industry or more widely in housing.
- He/she should not currently be too closely linked to any one interest group in the property field.
- Experience in chairing boards in the third, private or public sectors will be an advantage.
- He/she may have experience of being a charity Trustee either in Scotland or elsewhere in the UK, although induction training will be offered.
- Knowledge of the Scottish Government and the wider policy community would be an advantage.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV along with covering letter to the secretary of the Trust, firstname.lastname@example.org who can be contacted on 0141 225 5101. Closing date for applications is Wednesday 1st July 2015.